This polar expedition vessel, the M/V Plancius was built in 1976 as an oceanographic research vessel for the Royal Dutch Navy and was named “Hr. Ms. Tydeman”. The ship sailed for the Dutch Navy until June 2004. The vessel was then completely rebuilt as a passenger vessel in 2009 and complies with the latest safety regulations. The Plancius is classed by Lloyd’s Register and flies the Dutch flag. The Plancius accommodates only 108 passengers with a range of cabin types.
Though these voyages are primarily meant to offer passengers an exploratory wildlife program with as much time ashore as possible using Zodiacs, Plancius offers all the comforts of a standard hotel ― along with a bar and lecture room.
Unsure if the M/V Plancius ship is right for you? Review our Antarctica destination overview for full details on seasonality, routes, ship selection, pricing, expedition inclusions and how Travel Just 4U can help make your Antarctica dream become reality.
Quadruple Porthole Room
Triple Porthole Room
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia.
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
*Note that we will quote flights for you when provided with your desired travel dates. Costs will vary depending on your travel dates.